Friday, April 06, 2012

Scooby-Doo Where Are You? Trade Paperback



DC Comics has put together a trade paperback collecting a bunch of Scooby-Doo comics. This includes two of my earliest Scooby-Doo stories. One of them I still like quite a bit and features a pair of characters that made numerous guest appearances in other Scooby-Doo stories I wrote. The other story is one I don't like nearly as much. There's a lot of fun stuff here by my fellow Scooby scribes and artists though. This makes some great reading for kids and adults who still nurture their inner kid.

Available at a comic book store near you, or via Amazon.

Here's the DC solicitation information followed by a link to purchase this through Amazon:

Follow the classic kid detectives Scooby, Shaggy, Fred, Velma and Daphne, as they travel around in the Mystery Machine van, getting into trouble and solving some crimes along the way. This title collects issues #1-6 of the all-ages series.
Color/B&W: 
Color
Page Count: 
144
U.S. Price: 
12.99
On Sale Date: 
Mar 28 2012
ISBN: 
Trim Size: 
Comic





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have got me curious about the characters who have made "numerous guest appearances." Might they be Dex and Anne-Marie from "High School Ghoul"? I remember seeing them again in "Prom Fright" but I don't remember other appearances offhand.

RocketSunner said...

It looks like the book has issues 1-6 of "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?", which reprinted two of your stories: "The Ghost of Christmas Presents" and "Sound Stage Spook."

I remember some of the characters of the latter appearing again in other stories. Is that your favorite one? Which are the two recurring characters?

John Rozum said...

The characters are Tim Sevine, the make-up artist and Tom Burden, the director featured in "Sound Stage Spook." Both of them have appeared numerous times in other Scooby-Doo stories I wrote over the years, though they didn't always look the same.

"The Ghost of Christmas Presents" was something I wrote as a favor to the editor using an already existing plot drafted by someone else. At the time I didn't know I'd end up writing even a second Scooby-Doo story, let alone more than 100 of them. It may be my least favorite of my various S-D stories.

"Sound Stage Spook" while being far from my favorite, maintains a fond hold on me. I really liked creating the Cartoon Network Studios as a real place where all of the various cartoons shown on that network were filmed and enjoyed having various Hanna-Barbera characters mingling on the backlot as well as featuring the stuntman within the Igoo suit from "The Herculoids." I did a little more of this type of thing in other stories, but it wasn't long before I was told this would no longer be allowed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I was able to find Tim Sevine in the short about making monster masks, "Man of a Thousand Monsters!" had both. Are there others... maybe in other comics you're worked on?

RocketSunner said...

Thank you for the answer. I found two more stories in "Scooby-Doo!" comics with the characters. Tim Sevine was in a short piece about making masks, "How to Make a Monster." Both were in "Man of a Thousand Monsters!". Are there others, maybe in a different comic series?

John Rozum said...

Time Sevine and Tom Burden also appeared in "A Wolf in Creep's Clothing" (issue #92) and, I believe, "You'll Never Lurk in This Town Again" issue #83. There may be other appearances but it's hard for me to keep track off the top of my head.