Saturday, August 30, 2014

Monsterfinks


The Monsterfink show opens in just a few hours at Creature Features in Burbank, California. The show, which I'm part of pays tribute to the crazy world of 60s hotrod culture and its intersection with exaggerated cars and far out monsters. 

I was very excited to be part of this show since I ate this stuff up as a kid as it started to fizzle out by the early 70s. This alternative car culture had its roots in the ugly face artwork artwork of Basil Wolverton and the car and caricature creations Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, as well as the kustomized kar creations of George Barris. These horrific figures and vehicles came in the form of Weird Ohs, Nuttymads, Odd Rods, Rat Fink, Lindy Loonys and others. 

This world of monsters and cars has stayed with me and has inspired two comic book series I'm currently developing. It also led me to create my own monsterfink which I will post tomorrow. In the meantime, here is a look through these precursors to the Wacky Races. 






























No comments: