Tuesday, October 13, 2020

31 Days of Halloween - Day 13 - Book



The Witch by Robert Eggers. A24. 2019


The Witch (2016) is one of my favorite recent horror films, so it was a no-brainer that I'd pick up the book published by A24. Containing the screenplay, production drawings, 24 frames from the movie, and interview between Eggers and historian, David D. Hall (whose books provided some of the research material gathered by Eggers), an essay by Carmen Maria Machado on Thomasin's response to Black Phillip, and the full production credits for the movie.

This is a beautifully produced volume well worth the price for any fan of the film, allowing for further exploration and insights into the world of the movie. My only nitpicking criticism, is that for many of the film frames, the characters in the center of the image wind up swallowed into the binding. While this may be somewhat fitting here, it's something I hope A24 learns from and adjusts for in future volumes in this series.

The Witch, and other books in this series,  is available from A24's website.



1 comment:

Barbecue17 said...

Very cool. The Witch was excellent. Definitely one of my favorite horror films from the last 5-10 years or so. I've been wanting to watch The Lighthouse but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.