Thursday, May 31, 2007

Star Wars 30th Anniversary Special - part 31

One last post for the month long celebration of 30 years of "Star Wars."

Over the years I've come into many "Star Wars" posters from the original trilogy movies. Aside from the actual movie posters including 2 copies of the "Revenge of the Jedi" posters (both of which I sold, stupidly thinking I actually had a third that I'd planned to keep. >sigh<) some of them were pull-out posters from magazines such as the staple of the Scholastic Book Club of the 1970s -- "Dynamite" magazine (see bottom image), others were commercially available in stores, or given out as premiums. The first four below were originally offered from Burger Chef. Thankfully, since there was no Burger Chef in my region, they were later offered from Burger King, which was where I obtained mine. They have some of my favorite "Star wars" graphics of all time, though I have no idea who painted them. The character posters, as well as the Hildebrandt take on the movie poster were all available in stores. There was also a Luke Skywalker poster which I never had for some reason.

This group of posters represents what was on my wall all at one time around 1978. Either the Darth Vader (with airbrushed lightsaber, including the handle) or the Hildebrandt poster fell from my wall and landed in my guinea pig's cage, where it was promptly devoured while I was at school. Hopefully i still have the others stored away.

I apologize about the quality of the images, but they're the best I can find right now.











This was a lot of fun, and I thank everyone for stopping by, whether you posted comments or not, and thank you kindly for popping over to see my kids artwork (which they've been posting diligently for the past week). The comments left boosted their artistic egos.

Extra thanks to Todd Franklin for spurring me into participating in an online celebration of thirty years of "Star Wars." If you haven't checked out his own exemplary month long trip back to the summer of 1977, then you should head over there right now. I can't wait to see what you have in store for Halloween, Todd.

Extra thanks also to Stephen for hooking me up with some "Star Wars" figures based on Ralph McQuarrie's pre-production artwork, at this years "Star Wars" Celebration IV, where Stephen got to hobnob with the stars of "Star Wars."

Starting tomorrow, a couple of updates followed by a period of much less frequent posts due to the ever increasing pressure of various deadlines.

May the Force Be With You!

4 comments:

Robert Pope said...

You, sir, have been a king to post all this. There WAS a Burger Chef nearby in 1977, and I DID have (can't find 'em anymore, dammit) all those posters. They, too, are amongst my faves. Cheers to you for all the work.

Todd Franklin said...

Job well done! My wall was a mix of Star Wars, football and SuperMag posters when I was a kid. I too sold off my Revenge of the Jedi poster.

I'll need to start digging for Halloween.

Stephen said...

I agree - I always enjoyed those first four, which I had from Burger King. Thanks for all your hard work this month!

Unknown said...

Just found your site and I love it am am looking forward to checking out the whole thing when I have more time. I'm also going to send it through to a few friends who'll appreciate it, one who has worked on the Star Wars prequels.