Wednesday, October 01, 2008

31 Days of Halloween - Day 1 Spooky Bonus 1






















I chose Jeff Preston to lead off with because his painting "The Costume" (shown in the previous post) really exemplifies so much of what Halloween is like when you are a kid. You truly believe that that vinyl bib and thin plastic mask is going to transform you into a nearly exact incarnation of the character you are impersonating. Of course now, kids costumes have evolved to point where they really do come close with padded muscles and accessories, vs the bib with the illustration, which also had to declare in large print just what character you were supposed to be, I'm guessing to help avaoid the embarassment for adults opening their doors and having no idea what Saturday morning animated character you were. I'd love to have a print of this. I wonder if Jeff would barter artwork. Hmmm.

Jeff is incredibly versatile. You can see more of his art here and here. The range of subject matter is impressive and a bit startling when juxtaposed with one another, but it's his monster renderings which truly resonate with me.

More amazing to me is that Jeff's artwork is done with markers. Or as Jeff elaborated:

"Well not "magic marker" but rather prismacolor, tria and copic markers all alcohol based. I do the small detail work with small brush pen markers then the markers and finally some color pencil and acrylic highlights. But it's all about 90% marker."


Jeff also says to stay tuned to the "Darkhorse Presents" myspace online comics page, "I just finished the first "Creepy" story done in a quarter of a century! I had a blast doing it and it was the assignment I've been waiting for since I was a kid."

Sounds like a dream job to me. I can't wait to see it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for pointing to Jeff's stuff. I love his Hammer pieces, especially the Curse of the Werewolf piece.