Tuesday, October 12, 2010

31 Days of Halloween - Day 12

Here's a story I wrote for Dexter's Laboratory which appeared in Cartoon Network Block Party #24 from October 2006, published by DC Comics.

I really tried to make this story feel like it was an animated cartoon. It's meant to evoke a time before VCRs and cable when we kids had to go to great lengths to try and watch horror movies which were usually on waaaay past our bedtimes.












If you have kids (or know someone who does) who are interested in how comic books are made and not just reading them, then be sure to introduce them to JohnRozum.com For Kids my companion blog designed to teach kids everything there is to know about how a comic book gets made from inspiration to the part where they're stapled together. They can also ask any questions they want and I, or someone from my panel of experts will do our best to answer them. 


3 comments:

Robert Pope said...

I guess my kids will never, ever know the giddy feeling (or stomach-churning nausea, depending on how things turned out) of "this may be my only chance to see this movie/tv special EVER" syndrome. I remember all too well braving my old man's ire to sneak out of bed at my Grandad's house and creep into the den to watch "The Invisible Man" on the Late Late Show. Snuck in, warmed up the set, made sure the lights were all out, and there it was. I also, in the era when remote controls were a pricey luxury, remember diligently manning the volume knob to compensate for every time Una O'Connor would start screaming.

John Rozum said...

I remember how sick I would feel the next day if I forgot to watch something because of that "this may be my only chance..." aspect. I finally trained myself to pretend that whatever "it" was wasn't on in the first place. Even worse was trying to watch something and having the UHF reception so awful that you couldn't see the movie at all, no matter how much fiddling you did with the dial. So many of my memories of movies watched as a kid involve ghost images of a baseball game from a different station superimposed over the the movie.

Robert Pope said...

Me too!