Saturday, October 02, 2010

31 Days of Halloween - Day 2 - Movie 1


The Halloween season doesn't feel official without a viewing of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966). Since today marks the 60th Anniversary of the first publication of the comic strip "Peanuts" by Charles Schulz, I chose tonight to watch it to mark the occasion.

I've talked about this special in my previous post and during previous countdowns and don't have a lot to add. Instead I'll just list some of my favorite elements.

That gorgeous montage that comes right after Lucy "kills" the pumpkin that almost looks like it was animated using stained glass as the medium.

Those beautiful cloudy night sky backgrounds.

The ability to make me associate the color pink with Halloween.

The music.

Snoopy's emotional swings as Schroeder plays the piano at the Halloween party.

"I got a rock."

The irony of Lucy choosing a witch mask because it was diametrically opposed to her personality.

The ghost with a Davy Crockett hat.

The other ghosts.

The moment pictured above where Linus explains to Sally how they'll see the Great Pumpkin with their "own eyes."

For more Great Pumpkin, check out the Countdown to the Great Pumpkin social media contest.


    

1 comment:

Robert Pope said...

I say this without irony or sarcasm or anything else of the sort that without that special, for ME anyway, there wouldn't be a Halloween.