Saturday, May 05, 2007

Star Wars 30th Anniversary Special - part 5



One of my favorite moments in "Star Wars", when I first saw it, was the holochess game, and the exchange about droids not pulling people's arms out of their sockets when they lose, wookiees are known to do that.

At the time, the little creatures on the game board fascinated me and I'd always wanted a better look at them. I'd also hoped that Kenner would make some sort of board game based on this scene, but they never did.

The holomonsters were stop-motion animated by Phil Tippet, and allegedly were made of paier-mache, though my experience with papier-mache makes this seem difficult to unlikely at best. I'd guess they were most likely latex rubber over simple wire armatures.

Anyway, the game turns out to be called dejarik, and the little holomonsters are based on creatures both real and mythological in the Star Wars universe.

Here are the little holomonsters and their names.



1. Ghhhk

2. K'lor'slug

3. Kintan Strider (Chewie's bad move)

4. Ng'ok

5. Houjix

6. Monnok

7. Grimtaash or Molator

8. Mantellian Savrip (R2-D2's controversial move)

I recall that in an episode of "Jason of Star Command" there was a stop motion creature which looked a lot like teh Mantellian Savrip.












No comments: