Sunday, October 04, 2009

31 Days of Halloween - Day 4


















Today's collage portrait is the titular creature from THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951) played by James Arness. The make-up was created by Lee Greenway.

I wanted to depict the Thing in a manner that wasn't based on this overly familiar publicity photo, but no real alternative pictures seem to exist, and searching for an image to grab from the movie only made me discover that you never get a clear view of the creature in the movie, which I think works to the movie's benefit.

3 comments:

Shawn Robare said...

Personally, I think this is pretty darn great. I'm really thrown by how you manage to make different textures out of the paper when using flat colors and similar shapes. The folds on the cloth on his shirt/jumpsuit mixed with the shadows, and it doesn't get confusing in the overall of the image. Really sharp stuff. Also, the knuckle bones and claws really pop and help to tie the piece together well.

Can't wait to see what else you've got in store!

Todd Franklin said...

Yeah, I like what you did with the face and shirt. Very nice!

Dane said...

What Shawn said, but also, again with the excellent color choices and composition. Not that I'm surprised.