Sunday, February 26, 2006

Don Knotts and Darren McGavin R.I.P.


I feel like the Grim Reaper has it in for my childhood. First, we lose Don Knotts, whose nervous manner made him an endearing, and hilarious goof ball in everything from "The Andy Griffith Show" to "The Reluctant Astronaut," "The Incredible Mr. Limpet" and "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken." His death came right on the heels of a small collage tribute I paid to him just over a week ago.

Now, Darren McGavin is dead as well. For me, he'll always be Carl Kolchak, and McGavin's performance as Kolchak on "Kolchak: the Night Stalker" is what made that show, and every paranormal phenomenon he stumbled upon convincing. It was what inspired Chris Carter to create "The X-Files," and no doubt had a hand in my own lifelong fascination with paranormal investigators.




May they both rest in peace.

No comments: