Thursday, October 20, 2011

31 Days of Halloween - Day 20


Today is Bela Lugosi's birthday, and this year there's something to celebrate. After being unavailable for years, Island of Lost Souls (1932) is finally being released to DVD and Blu-ray and by Criterion no less. Lugosi's role is a supporting one, and his screen time is minimal, but it's an outstanding movie and a genuine horror classic that's worth seeing. Unfortunately it is not available until nest Tuesday, October 25th and not in time for Lugosi's birthday, so you'll need to choose one of his other films to celebrate.

Here are some of his best:

Dracula (1931)

White Zombie (1932)

Son of Frankenstein (1939)

The Black Cat (1934)


       

3 comments:

Johnny Bacardi said...

Where did that illustration first appear? I remember it well from my childhood. Castle of Frankenstein, maybe?

John Rozum said...

I think it originally appeared as part of a regular newspaper feature back in the 1930s. I've seen similar ones for Bride of Frankenstein and I think Lon Chaney.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was later reprinted in Castle of Frankenstein.

I'm not sure where I got a hold of it. I came across it on one of my discs full of horror movie stills, scans, and screen grabs. I have so many that I decided to start my companion blog The Grim Gallery to put them back out in circulation.

Anonymous said...

the reprint of that was in an issue of castle of frankenstein; it's been featured (from that issue) at the CoF page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DrawbridgeOfTheCastle