Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Weinermobile







This past Friday I was able to check off another item from my wish list of cultural experiences as I encountered the Weinermobile.

Weighing as much as a million (presumably Oscar Meyer brand) hot dogs, this baby sits on a Chevrolet W4 chassis, runs on a V-8, 6.0 liter 350 vortec 5700 engine and has a 32.1 gallon fuel tank, which isn't all that great since one of the hotdoggers accompanying the Weinermobile informed us that it gets about 10 miles per gallon.

The Weinermobile also boasts gull wing doors, mustard and ketchup colored seats for 6 passengers, a blue sky with clouds ceiling, and a GPS navigation system on a hot dog shaped instrument panel. Take the virtual tour and see for yourself.

As you can see in the picture of the cabin, it's pretty futuristic looking, circa the early 70s--somewhat reminiscent of the G.I. Joe Mobile Support Vehicle that was my pride and joy as a child. If they ever decommissioned one of these babies, it would be pretty cool to take on a cross country drive with some white pajama-type uniforms. I think they should remake "Damnation Alley" or "Ark-2" with the Weinermobile as the main vehicle.

The hotdoggers were also handing out these little plastic weinerwhistles.

3 comments:

Trevour said...

Awesome! I also had the opportunity to see the Weinermobile exactly 10 years ago. A group of friends and myself had just left a concert in Fargo, ND and we happened to discover it sitting out in the parking lot. We didn't even know it was making an appearance in Fargo.

It was already after dark, and there was no one around, but we approached it anyway in pure awe and amazement. As soon as my friend Jason touched it though, a loud alarm sounded off!

Somebody from inside the Weinermobile came to the door, and we thought we were in trouble. But all was good in the end.

I didn't get to go inside. What in th world is upstairs inside the weiner? Sleeping quarters? Storage?

John Rozum said...

Welcome back, Trevour. I was about to send out a search party. Your blog was getting full of dust bunnies and tumble weeds you've been gone so long.

I think the upper part of the weiner is storage. Probably for all of those weinerwhistles. Either that or it's full of preservatives.

I can't believe we're actually having this discussion.

Willie Baronet said...

My baloney has a first name...