Saturday, October 05, 2013

31 Days of Halloween - Day 5



Monsters: The Sisterhood of Blood Mummies

Appearance: Xombi V.2 #6 "The Ninth Stronghold Part 6 - Resurrection" October 2011
Frazer Irving: Artist, Dave Sharpe: Letterer, Rickey Purdin: Assistant Editor, Harvey Richards: Associate Editor, Rachel Gluckstern: Editor

The Sisterhood of the Blood Mummies was something I created for Xombi back during its original run in the mid-1990s, but never used. They weren't designated for a specific storyline, but were merely concocted as malicious assassins that could be placed in a story where they fit and served a purpose. Finally, in 2011, that time had come, and while their appearance was brief, they made an impact. Technically they appeared on the last page of issue #5, but issue #6 is where we learned what they were.

Above are my somewhat refined sketches from my original notes that I provided Frazer irving with. Below is his elegantly nightmarish take on the blood mummies, with explanatory text that was more or less transcribed from my original notes from nearly two decades prior. It's essentially everything you need to know about them.






One thing I didn't really notice until this series was completed is that I tend to create a lot of monsters that don't have eyes. I don't know if this has anything to do with the impact Alien (1979) had on me, but I think monsters without eyes are much more disturbing, since there's less way to read them, and that they still seem to have no problem finding you and avoiding obstacles to do so. 



No comments: