Wednesday, October 25, 2006

31 Days of Halloween - Day 25




Still need some decorating ideas? Here's a couple of scans from the "Ladies Home Journal" I'm not sure what year the top one comes from, or certain that's what magazine it was actually from (you think I'd label these things). The second one though is from the October 1919 issue. Everything, for the most part, looks to have been done with crepe paper, and looks really great. These are much like the decorating tips in the Dennison Bogie Books from the early part of the 20th Century. Of course Dennison was also selling all of the products used in their decorating tips. Still, this looks much better than those semi transparent vinyl clings the sell now to stick on your wall so that you can transform your room into a scary set. The samples I saw put up in various party supply stores, sagged, and looked pretty crappy. I'll take crepe paper any day.

1 comment:

Steven Altis said...

I can't believe how over the top the decorations are in the 1919 mag! I never really pictured the people of that time period as being that big on dolling up their homes for any holiday, much less Halloween. 1919, I take my hat off to you!