Friday, October 05, 2012

31 Days of Halloween - Day 5 - Movie 1



I tried to watch Phantom of the Paradise (1974) back when I was about twelve and saw it on tv. I hated it. Essentially a blending of The Phantom of the Opera and Faust set within the decadent world of the music industry in the 1970s, the movie was too garish and stylized, and the contemporary musical aspect of it was too big a part of it for my taste and expectations for what a monster movie should be. I've avoided it ever since.

Until now.

I'm not sure of what drew me to try it again, but I'm glad I did. All of the things that turned me off about it as a kid are what I think are the strengths of the movie now. The artifice and stagey aspects of it really  work for the story, and some of it is rather funny. Plus, I've got to say, the Phantom is a really strong image with his bird-like mask, bulging, bloodshot eye, and steel teeth.

Clearly I was too young for this movie the first time I tried to watch it. This is one case where my much younger self had no idea what he was talking about.


No comments: