Monday, October 15, 2007

31 Days of Halloween - Day 15












Every year, I put together two compilation CDs, one for all of my adult friends, another for the kids of many of these same people, since the ages of the children range pretty close together. Initially, the kids CDs had songs from Sesame Street and Wee Sing -- songs that were in the Halloween spirit, but not too spooky. Now that the kids are getting a bit older, they aren't getting so much music but more cuts from the spooky story records of the 1960s and 1970s. In many ways, it's more fun putting these together, as I can pick the stories that most affected me as a kid, and put them all on one disc.

Shown here, in alternating order, are the CDs I made for the adults, and for the kids, from 2003 through the present. Prior to this, compilations were put on cassette tape. I don't have any examples of these handy.

This year I realized that I'm not in any danger of running out of material for future cassettes. I have roughly four DAYS worth of music, and no idea how much sound effects and stories I have on hand. The beauty of this time of year is I still get to add to my collection.

Build your own by visiting these great music and story sites:

Music You (Possibly) Won't Hear Anyplace Else

Mr. J. Evil Scientist's Dungeon of Odd Records

Mostly Ghostly Music Sharing Blaaahhhggg!!!

Universal Horror Sounds

Senses Working Overtime

Distinctly Jamaican Sounds

Oddio Overplay

Monster Rally

All Eyes and Ears

6 comments:

Stephen said...

Funny, I just sent you an e-mail this morning asking if you were doing one for your kids this year. I'd love to see this years' playlists, if you care to send them. I didn't realize you'd been at it this long!

Steven Altis said...

As a lucky recipient of this year's compilation I can attest to the amount of time and thought that must go into putting these together. What a kick-butt collection of sounds you gathered this year! Some amazing songs on this disc... a few that I've loved for years and a few that I can't believe I'd never heard before! (Where, for instance, has 'Train to Satanville' been hiding?)

A woefully belated thanks to you from me... not only for the disc, but for including me on the grown-ups list even after you've read my blog!

Dane said...

Thank you for throwing mine in there too! I have to agree, despite having a ton of Halloween music already, every year I get to add more and more to the collection, thanks to the great blogs so many folks keep.

Thanks to all of you who keep the spooky music flowing.

I burn a yearly Halloween cd too, but mine don't look to be half as well thought out or nicely packaged as yours. Also, nobody but me is interested, so just one copy gets made. I envy you!

Todd Franklin said...

Yeah, your cd has been a great soundtrack as I've been working on my countdown this year. Thanks for sending it out!

Stephen said...

Wow, I'm the only kid on my block without one.

Mark Harvey said...

How does one get a copy of this coveted CD (I'm not sure which one sounds better either!)?