Monday, October 08, 2007

31 Days of Halloween - Day 8 - Movie




While I've never found it particularly scary, I've always really liked "Phantasm" (1979). This movie is a lot of fun, and for the most part doesn't bother to explain anything, which for me was always part of the appeal. It was also really cool; the orphans who never seemed to have homework and could stay out at all hours, responsibly brandishing firearms while zipping around in a really cool car; that great maneuver for getting out of a locked bedroom; the older brother, who still reminds me of a "Star Wars" era Harrison Ford; the metal sphere; the rabid jawas; the menacing tall man played by Angus Scrimm; the great music; the simple title card at the beginning of the movie plus so much other great stuff I don't want to mention because I don't want to wreck it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

All you really know is that it's about the weird goings on at the Morningside Funeral Home, and a group of friends who try and unravel the mystery.

The DVD has a whole mess of extras that I can't wait to watch. Maybe one of them will explain whether director Don Coscarelli has a portrait tucked away that ages for him. He does not look like a man who started directing movies over thirty years ago.

1 comment:

Dane said...

Thanks for reminding me of this one.