Monday, October 01, 2007

31 Days of Halloween - Day 1 Movie 2



After watching "Meet Me in St. Louis," I felt compelled to watch something a little more specifically Halloween oriented, and chose "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" (1966). This 42-year-old classic really fit the bill, and made the start of the Halloween season seem official. Just watching this seems to make the leaves on the trees change color into their autumn hues, and makes the air temperature seem just a tad more chilly. It makes me want some warm apple cider and a donut.

One of these days, I need to track down a copy of the story on record, or even just on MP3. If anyone out there can help out, let me know.

3 comments:

Robert Pope said...

Man, when those purples start to fill the sky in the backgrounds, that's just about perfect. Also the best take on '"Linus and Lucy" EVER, with suble flute and other good stuff (at the beginning, when they bring in the pumpkin...it's not on cd anywhere, I've looked for years...) Ah, well...

Todd Franklin said...

This will never get old!

Stephen said...

I recently read the making-of book by Lee Mendelson, and it gave me a whole new appreciation for this special. It's just not Halloween without it - and there may never have been any Halloween animated specials without it, either.

As for the audio, you can find it here (DVD rip) or here (LP version). Enjoy!